Yes, dogs are allowed at French Fort Cove in Miramichi. The only rules are that they must be on a leash and not in an area of danger.
A few other things to note:
- Dogs must always be on a leash or in your vehicle when present in these areas; Beach access, picnic area, trail head. Dogs should never be left unattended for any period of time outside of your vehicle or the designated pet area without being on a leash and under your direct control, even if it seems unlikely that they will harm wildlife!
- Pets cannot disturb people who are fishing or birding and they can’t chase birds/wildlife along trails.
- Pets are not to be left unattended in the campground or along the beach at any time.
- Dogs must never be left sleeping in vehicles. They can overheat and die very quickly.
- Please clean up after your dog! Pack out all waste! Leaving waste on the trail is an offence under the Trespass Act and carries possible fines of $100 if a Conservation Officer catches you. Do not leave anything behind but footprints! (i.e. cigarette butts, food scraps, animal carcasses) The Miramichi River Stewardship has a stewardship program called Adopt-a-river where pet owners may dispose of dog waste.
- People must clean up after their dogs. Dog waste is very infectious and can cause many diseases if it is left around… so please pack it out!
- Please note that there are some rules that you must abide by regarding dog/pet ownership and use at French Fort Cove Miramichi. These rules are listed on the signs at various locations on the property.
- Please read and follow these rules at all times when in the area, especially inside the campground.