For many people, New Brunswick is not the first place that comes to mind when they think of a good place to live.
There are still some people who like living in New Brunswick, though, so it’s worth asking yourself how you’re going to choose where you want to settle down.
Here are some important questions that you might be wondering about before moving to New Brunswick.
Are there any jobs nearby?
New Brunswick does offer somewhat of a variety of jobs with the most employment opportunities found in Fredericton and Moncton (jobs in Moncton).
If you have job opportunities in either city and you plan on relocating there, then it’s best to know where the jobs are to ensure that you can get to the job.
What’s the job market like in New Brunswick?
For those looking for jobs in New Brunswick, the province’s economy isn’t doing so well.
If you’re looking for jobs in Moncton, our article will be super helpful for you.
Currently, it has a 6.2 percent unemployment rate, which is higher than most of the other provinces.
But it can still be expected that there are available jobs in New Brunswick if you’re willing to wait for them to come around.
I recommend taking a look at the New Brunswick employment website here.
You’ll find a lot more information about the new Brunswick Job market that will give you a better idea about future opportunities, in demand jobs, and other employment aspects.
What kind of housing is available?
The biggest problem New Brunswickers seem to have with moving to their city is finding good housing options that aren’t too expensive and are within reach for a decent salary.
The housing market doesn’t look too terribly bad in New Brunswick – there are houses and apartments all over the city, and most of them are in decent condition because except for a few older residential areas, the housing is new or very close to it.
See our post on housing in Moncton if you’re planning on moving there.
What about the culture in New Brunswick?
New Brunswick does have a culture, but it’s not one that’s as well-known as those of some other provinces.
But the culture that does exist is certainly good enough to be considered among those of almost any other province or state.
Since New Brunswick has only been around for a short time, it hasn’t had much time to develop a traditional culture like others have..
What are the schools like in New Brunswick?
New Brunswick is a province that’s geared towards education. This can be good or bad depending on your situation and what you’re looking for in a place to live. If you have children, then you might want to keep in mind the following details about New Brunswick schools:
The student-to-teacher ratio is better than in other parts of Canada, and it has improved a lot since 2010. There are still more teachers than students in New Brunswick, but the fact that there was an improvement is certainly worth mentioning. It’s even a great option if you’re thinking of becoming a supply teacher in New Brunswick.
The graduation rate is around 80% in New Brunswick, which is quite good. This could improve in the coming years as more of these students reach University age, but it’s still a good source of information for parents to know if they want to draw a comparison to other provinces.
Schools are supported by an average of $10,500 per student, which isn’t too bad for a province that focuses on education as it does. Quebec has some of the highest funding per student, but other provinces place less emphasis on their education system and provide less funding than New Brunswick.
If you have children and your main concern is the protection of your children’s education, then New Brunswick schools can be trusted.
New Brunswick schools also have some other nice features:
- There are a few schools in New Brunswick that offer Early French Immersion programs, which can help children become more comfortable with their second language. This is great if you’re planning on having children in Canada one day.
- Schools across the province are also relatively new because of the government’s focus on education, so you won’t need to worry about spending a lot of money to fix up an old building when you want to enroll your child in school.
- Schools are also kept at a regulated temperature of 20 degrees Celsius which will make it easier for you to keep your child comfortable during the school day.
- If you have children and you’ve looked into schools in New Brunswick, then chances are that you’re still looking at other provinces. If this is the case, then try to think about what your child wants out of their education and if they would be happy in other provinces outside of New Brunswick. It’s all a matter of perspective, really.
Some other things that make New Brunswick a good place to live include:
The province isn’t against building new zoning laws and regulations, which are often seen as controversial in other provinces. New Brunswick has also made improvements to the public transportation system that is offered in the province, and it’s operated by a public-private partnership that recently stopped the use of fossil fuels.
New Brunswick has a few natural resources to help it stand out when pitted against other provinces:
- The province is home to the Baie des Chaleurs Marine, which makes it a great place for fishing enthusiasts in Canada. It also offers some incredible scenery along its coast.
- There are many things that have changed in New Brunswick since 2000, one of these being electoral reform . New Brunswick was the first province in Canada to vote into such a system, and it has been changed many times since then.
- New Brunswick also has some great environmental policies that involve getting rid of plastic bags, standing up against toxic chemicals that are found in other provinces, and taking measures to prevent climate change.
- If you’re looking for a place to live that’s going to be one of the better places to live in Canada, then New Brunswick can be picked as one of your options. If you’re not happy with the province or its citizens, it could be time for a change.
3 reasons why you should move to New Brunswick
1. New Brunswick is home to a few amazing locations.
New Brunswick has a handful of awesome locations that are definitely worth checking out if you’re going to be in the province for a while.
The Bay of Fundy has some of the highest tides in the world, and it’s known for housing some interesting wildlife as a result. The Bay of Fundy also surrounds Saint John, a city that has an interesting history behind it and an eclectic culture to match.
New Brunswick is also home to Hopewell Rocks, which have been deemed “North America’s Galapagos” because of how different they are from other coastal activities around the world.
The Atlantic Salmon Museum is certainly worth checking out if you’re looking to learn more about Atlantic Salmon than a simple fishing trip could teach you.
Finally, Fredericton is also worth visiting, or even if you’re considering moving to Fredericton, because of its beautiful architecture and how it blends in with the rest of the city.
2. New Brunswick will be able to provide you with a good living situation and a great quality of life.
New Brunswick has some fantastic living situations for people looking for a good place to live in Canada.
The province can provide you with a plethora of space options, including apartments, townhouses and villas.
In Fredericton and Moncton, you’ll be able to find several different types of housing for whatever your needs are:
The rental market in New Brunswick is also good at providing you with a wide variety of options, which will make it easier for you to find the right home or apartment that fits your needs as a tenant. Take a look at our post on the cheapest places to live in New Brunswick for ideas on where to settle down.
New Brunswick’s living conditions have also been evaluated by Human Rights Watch as some of the best in all of Canada. New Brunswick has some great quality of life and will give you access to dining opportunities in its many areas.
3. New Brunswick gives you access to a rich and interesting culture that is unlike many other places in Canada.
New Brunswick has a rich and interesting culture all its own, which will make it easier for you to enjoy yourself when you’re visiting the province.
The city of Fredericton (and with so many things to do in Fredericton) is known for its great mix of cultures and strong sense of community.
There are communities across New Brunswick that also have their own cultural identities.
New Brunswick also produces a number of great artists and creative minds who have brought something new to the artistic world.
New Brunswick is a province that will give you access to some great culture, no matter where you live or what your status in the province is.
Final Thoughts: Is New Brunswick a Good Place to Live?
New Brunswick is definitely a place to consider if you’re looking for the best place in Canada to live, and there are a lot of fantastic reasons to make it one of your options.
The province is still relatively new when compared to other provinces, but it’s been making steady improvements since it was first formed and has really come into its own as a community.
It’s also worth noting that New Brunswick has helped move the country forward in various areas of sustainability and conservation efforts, so there’s no way that you would be against living in a place that takes these matters seriously.
New Brunswick also has a lot of opportunities for employment, which will make it easier for you to find work if you need a job.
It’s not often that you’ll see an opportunity like this, but New Brunswick makes it easy to work or stay at home with the kids while you live and prosper in the province.